What is Lessons for Living Well?
Lessons for Living Well is the online student component of ‘Eating Well, Living Well: Nutrition Education for Adult ESL.’ The site is free. Students can complete this lesson online.
The purpose of Lessons for Living Well is to help adult ESL learners gain knowledge and take steps towards making healthier food choices.
Who is it designed for?
The lesson is designed for Intermediate and above level adult ESL learners with basic computer literacy skills.
What are the lessons about?
The first lesson developed is Fast Food: Healthy Choices. In this lesson, students:
- Learn about the connection between fat, salt and one’s health
- Learn about the fat and salt in typical fast foods
- Learn how to read a nutrition chart to find out about the fat and salt in fast foods
- Develop a plan to make healthier choices at fast food restaurants
What will my students see and do in the lesson?
The main sections of the lesson are:
- Opening Video (Introduction)
- Key Words with comprehension check (Vocabulary Review)
- ‘All About Fat’ video and comprehension checks (Presentation)
- ‘All About Salt’ video and comprehension checks (Presentation)
- Reading a Nutrition Chart (Presentation)
- Student Activities (Practice)
- Conclusion video
- Final Quiz (Assessment)
- What’s Next? (Application)
How can the lesson be used?
The lesson is very simple. There is no up-front registration requirement. The Final Quiz does ask for a sign-in name if students wish to receive a score. Students may also choose to email their teacher a copy of their healthy choices plan. The lesson can be completed in about 1-2 hours. The lesson can be used in several ways.
- A teacher can assign it as part of a classroom lesson related to health and nutrition. Students could use the lesson in a classroom with computers or as a lab assignment, complete it and discuss it in class. They can print out the ‘plan’ for making healthy choices or email it to the teacher.
- It could be used as a whole classroom lesson, using an LCD projector to allow students to see the lesson as a group and complete the lesson together.
- Use it as a homework or independent lab assignment.
- Have it posted in an ESL lab as a resource for interested students.
- Post it on your own teacher website with other resources of interest.
- Students may find the lesson themselves -- at home or at school.
Some Forms You Can Use Now!
Here are some forms you can download and print to use in your classroom or lab. You can download a Word (
) or PDF (
- Lesson Checklist for Lab, Homework or Class
- Warm-up Activity for Class Discussion
- Learn More: Websites to Explore
If you decide to assign the lesson, take the time to review it yourself.
In addition to Lessons for Living Well, 'Eating Well, Living Well' also has 26+ classroom lessons, online teacher training for nutrition education in Adult ESL, and a wide range of other teacher resources. For more information about ‘Eating Well, Living Well,’ visit our main website.
For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.